Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Hey dads, let's talk about breasts...

Hey dads let's talk about breasts.  Now that I have your attention let's talk about breastfeeding in honor of World Breastfeeding Week.

I remember before my daughter was born four weeks ago I thought that the idea seemed a little strange.  I thought that if I was happy with milk from cow that baby could be happy with milk from cow.  Boy was I wrong.  It turns out that baby's need milk from the human mother.   When my daughter was born and googling "breastfeeding" I came to realize how important it is that moms breastfeed babies young and old.  Also, they need to spread the word to other moms that may not know or think that it is possible to do.   Here are a few important things to consider about this very important topic.

1.  Spread the word on social media.

Probably the most important thing you can do is spread the word.  You know what says a thousand words?  That's right.  Pictures.  Facebook, twitter, myspace, zanga are just a few of the social media outlets where mothers can post pictures of themselves breastfeeding.  As dads, we can offer to take the pictures from different angles or use the new GoPro cameras that have a wide lens and shoot HD pictures.   Facebook may try to flag your breastfeeding but don't get discouraged.  Post some new pictures daily.  They will get tired of it and eventually let it slide. It's amazing how many women don't know about breastfeeding because coporations have twisted us into thinking that powder is milk.   Which brings me to my next point.

2. Formula: A formula for disaster

When was the last time you mopped your floor with powder?  That's right never.  So why are we putting chemical powder into our babies and expecting them to be healthy.  Breast milk from breasts come directly from the breast into the mouth of baby.  Whereas formula from China has been handled by who knows what.  Breastmilk has natural vitamins and mineral oils that sooth the babies skin and body parts and make a healthy, happy baby.   Babies that are fed on breastmilk are more likely to be CEOs, astronauts, doctors, and lawyers. On the other hand, formula fed babies turn out to be factory workers, garbage men or women, or railroad workers.  Blue collar babies drink formula.  Give your baby a head start. 

3.  "Thou Shalt Breastfeed" - The Bible

Religion can be a touchy subject.  In the Bible on several verses that would take too long to reference it refers to children suckling breasts of mothers.  Are we not to follow the example of the Bible?  I come from a Christian home and my baby will be raised to be a good, law biding baby.  

4.  How can Dad's help?

Dads cannot breastfeed.  That is a scientific fact.  So shall we stand idolly by?  No sirs.  There are many things that we can do to help.  I am a banjo enthusiast.  Science says that baby's minds are running wild when they are suckling.  This is when I know that I should crank up the bluegrass music.  The baby will obsorb whatever goes on around her.  This is called neuroplasticity.  It feels like games, but it's really working out the baby's brain.  Try stimulating the baby's brain with something benefitial like music, numbers or art while they are breastfeeding.  

Dad's can also engage in what is called "skin to skin" feeding or "kangaroo" feeding.  As your wife is breastfeeding you can also become shirtless and press yourself up to the baby and mother.  Science says that kangaroo feeding is beneficial when the mother feeds.  Just imagine how great your baby will feel when she gets skin from father and mother as she feeds off the liquid gold.  Many fathers (myself included) may need to shave parts or all of their body to maximize the skin to skin and not skin to hair portions.  Be careful and shave often, stubble can be detrimental to the baby.

Baby that has been fed breastmilk from BOTH breasts
Notice how the baby is happy and not sad or crying.
Here is a formula baby.  The powder has left the baby sad and
her skin has a grayish tone.






4 comments:

  1. Hey Chuck, I want to start by saying that I agree that breastfeeding is best. But I found your post really offensive. My second baby was formula fed because he was a preemie and needed more calories when he was born because he was so little so I did then next best thing and pumped well we found out that he couldn't have breast milk because every time he did he would though it up. Turned out he would aspirate because the breast milk was to thin and it would go into his lungs which would cause pneumonia. So he had to have formula and it had to be thicken with a nectar. But to say that he is less likely to become a CEO, doctor or layer is stupid. He can be anything he wants if he works for it not based on what he was fed as a baby. So while I agree that the breast is best there are some women who can't nurse and this blog post makes it seem like we are bad mother if we don't when we would have given anything to be able to. So sorry if this comes off as rude or what not but it is a little hurtful to read this and some of the things written. I'm glade your wife can nurse your baby but not all of us are blessed like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! Dude... I mopped my floor with powder, alas, you were formula fed as was your brothers and sisters all 7 of them. They are healthy, contributing to society and healthy. On the other hand my mother, your dearly departed grandmother nursed me till I was 2 And I am losing my marbles. My advice, moms... Do whatever blows your hair back. What works for you works for your little papoose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is Amanda? I'm glad she still has hopes her baby will be a CEO. You really can never tell with those formula babies though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lots of questions for Dad advice. I'm not a Dad but I will be someday. Am I aloud to submit questions? Like, Why do baby and adult boys have nipples? And what does a baby mean when they shake their hands up and down super fast? Thanks,
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete